I know it is very easy to go to the grocery store and grab a jar of peanut butter. But have you every stopped to actually read the label: peanuts, sugar, hydrogenated oil... Not good!
First off, peanuts are often moldy and rancid before they get used. Sugar, really?? Do we really need more sugar? And hydrogenated oil... well, this is not doing anything good for your health. These oils are too high in Omega 6 fatty acids, which the Standard American Diet gets too much of in the first place.
Have you ever considered making your own? Before you say that you don't have time, wait!
The time it takes to drive to the store, buy your peanut butter, pay for it and get back home, you could have it done!
It is so simple. And once you've made it once, you won't go back to store bought!
Here is what you'll need:
2 1/4 cups nuts &/or seeds (I like a combination of almonds, pecans, cashews, pumpkin and sunflower). Use what you like!
2 Tbsp Hemp Seeds
2 Tbsp Chia seeds
1 tsp Cinnamon
1/4 tsp Sea salt
1/4 cup Coconut Oil, melted
Here's how you make it:
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees
2. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place nuts/seeds on the baking sheet
3. Bake for 18-20 minutes (watch that they don't burn)
4. Remove from oven and let sit 5-10 minutes
5. Place nuts/seeds in food processor (if you like chuncky butter, leave 1/4 cup out to coarse chop and add at the end.
6. Process nuts/seeds for 5-10 minutes, scraping down the sides of the bowl often
7. Add cinnamon, hemp seeds, chia seed, sea salt and melted oil.
8. Process again. Let your machine run until you get the consistency you want. Be patient...as the nuts get warm, the butter will get thinner.
9. Add coarsely chopped nuts, if using.
10. Store in glass jar.
Let me know how it goes!