In my last post, I shared some whole foods that help to reduce inflammation in the body. Turmeric was something that I featured in that post. Since then, I have received a few emails asking of ways to use it. There are so many great ways you can use Turmeric, I think some will surprise you.
1. Curry Powder -- This is the most common way that people use Turmeric. A curry spice blend is one that combines: coriander, cumin, mustard seeds, fennel, cardamom, cloves, ginger, nutmeg, turmeric and a little cayenne -- depending on how spicy you like it. I had always bought curry powder, but since taking the Culinary Nutrition Course and reading Meghan Telpner's book, Undiet, I will never buy store bought again!
2. Soups and Curry's -- This is a great way to use your freshly made curry powder. This soup recipe is one that I created. If you make it, let me know what you think!
3. Latte's & Tea -- Mix together coconut milk or your favorite nut milk, turmeric, ginger & cinnamon along with raw honey and black pepper (this is needed to activate the turmeric) and you have a wonderful soothing, anti-inflammatory drink. Give this recipe a try.
4. Smoothies -- Now before you think I've gone crazy, hear me out. You don't need to add a lot to your morning smoothie. Start with 1/4 tsp so it isn't overpowering. You can work your way up from there.
5. Veggies -- if you love Cauli-rice, try changing up the flavor with turmeric and serving with your next curry dish!
I hope this has given you some new ways to add Turmeric in your diet. I would love to hear from you. Did you find something that inspires you or do you have a favorite recipe to share?